Alert Field

Due to a lack of transportation options to Employment Horizons and ongoing concerns for safety this morning, Employment Horizons will be CLOSED on Friday, 11/16/2018.

1957

The Sheltered Training Center of Morris County was founded with 8 trainees.

1958

On April 12, 1958, the Sheltered Training Center of Morris County opened its doors on Speedwell Avenue.

1961

1961

In 1961, the Sheltered Training Center had grown and needed a new location. It was moved to Lackawanna Place in Morristown, to a 8,500 sq. ft. 2 story wooden building. It now served 25-30 clients.

1963

In November of 1963, the name was changed to Occupational Training Center for the Handicapped.

1971

In November of 1971, the organization purchased the Lackawanna Place building for $75k. This gave the Occupational Training Center for the Handicapped (OTCH) a new goal to serve an increased number of people.

1975

In July of 1975, the location at 10 Ridgedale Ave, Cedar Knolls was purchased. At this time, the OTCH was serving 90-100 clients.

1980

In the spring of 1980, OTCH was accredited by CARF. We have continued to maintain CARF accreditation.

1985

1985

In 1985, the name was changed to remove “for the handicapped,” making the new name the Occupational Training Center (OTC).

1987

In April of 1987, the OTC received a grant from the Morris County Department of Human Services. With this grant, the OTC implemented a supported employment program, providing job coaching and follow-along services after job placement.

1993

In 1993, office space was rented at 14 Ridgedale Avenue. A new program, “Employment Horizons,” was created to provide vocational assessment and employment services to a more diverse population in the least restrictive environment. This program made available community based services to individuals who did not desire to participate in the facility based training program.

1994

1994

In 1994, the Employment Horizons program became licensed as a temporary employment agency. Also in 1994, lawn care equipment was purchased and a grounds-keeping training program was initiated to expand opportunities for clients.

1995

In 1995, Picatinny Arsenal contracted with the OTC for basic cleaning services. This site provided full time work opportunities for 5 clients throughout the year.

2000

2000

Effective February 1, 2000 the name of the agency officially changed from the OTC of Morris County to Employment Horizons, Inc. Also in 2000, as a result of the dedication and capabilities of our workers, Picatinny Arsenal awarded our Commercial Services Department a janitorial contract for the entire base (150 buildings).

2005

2005

In 2005, Employment Horizons was named “Outstanding Community Rehabilitation Agency” by ACCSES NJ (Association for Choices of Community Supports and Employment Services).

2008

2008

On May 1, 2008 the groundbreaking ceremony was held for the addition to the main building. This addition would allow the programs currently at 14 Ridgedale Ave to move to the 10 Ridgedale Ave location, as well as provide upgrades to the existing facility.

2009

2009

On May 1, 2009 the ribbon cutting for the new building was held. The size of the building more than doubled with the addition of 22,000 sq. ft.

2010

On July 22, 2010 Employment Horizons began the grounds keeping and trash removal contract with Picatinny Arsenal, again expanding the services provided at the location and work opportunities for program participants.

2011

2011

In 2011, the Culinary Arts Training Program began training individuals to prepare and serve lunch. The building expansion allowed Employment Horizons to open Café Horizons and the new cafeteria, providing program participants and staff with the opportunity to purchase lunch 3 days per week. This would later grow to 5 days a week.

2013

Began Video Based Training Program to provide additional support and training to program participants

2014

First Taste of Spring fundraiser held

2017

Arthur and Carol Grant Internship Program established

Donate